- June 28, 2022
- Posted by: Rachel DeLaune
- Category: Blog
Finding a reliable contractor is essential to ensure that your home repairs are done properly. Follow these tips to find the right professional to meet your needs:
- Check for a permanent place of business, telephone number, tax I.D. number and, where required, a business license.
- Request verification of professional liability insurance.
- Look for a company with a proven track record. Ask for and check client references and request a list of completed projects.
- Verify whether the contractor is properly licensed or bonded.
- Insist on a written proposal. The proposal should include complete descriptions of the work and specifications, including approximate start and completion dates and payment procedures.
- Check to see if the contractor is a member of any regional or national industry associations, such as the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA).
- Call your local Better Business Bureau to check for any complaints that have been filed.
- Have the contractor explain his project supervision and quality control procedures.
- Carefully read and make sure you understand any warranty offered; watch for provisions that would void the warranty.
Remember, price is only one criterion for selecting a contractor. Professionalism and quality workmanship should also weigh heavily on your decision.